Bake Store is a family owned company who have a passion for baking. They aim to offer quality baking products that can be used again and again in our own homes. They go the extra mile with their customers by sharing their own recipes and use their own experience to aid customers in perfecting their home baking experience.
It wasn't long before my package arrived which I was very happy about, I couldn't wait! When I opened the box I was greeted with green and purple tissue paper that I had to unwrap to get to the goodies inside.It felt like I was opening a present!
So this is what I received. A very colourful and fun package.
The brownie pan was of better quality than I expected it to be. It's made from
heavy duty commercial steel so you can tell it is made to last. And if something happens to go wrong with it, it has a 20 year guarantee. The silicone utensils and the plastic measuring spoons have a 5 year guarantee. Score!
I was a little skeptical of the silicone utensils at first. I really didn't know what to expect quality wise, I guess I imagined them to be a little too 'floppy'.
I was pleasantly surprised to find them sturdy with the right amount of bend. I liked that the mixing spoon has a hole in the middle as it made it a lot easier to get all the ingredients distributed.
I loved how the mixing spoon and spatula has a pointed corner, so it gets all that mixture that is stuck in the side of the bowl when mixing. It also aids when getting *every last bit * of brownie mixture out of the bowl. That is very handy!
The only negative about this is that there wasn't anything left in the bowl at the end for me : (..heehee!
After the brownies came out of the oven I used the handy dandy Cake Taster to make sure it was cooked to perfection.
I used Bake Stores own recipe. You can find it below!
Everybody loves a chocolate brownie and after trying a few different methods, I find this is the best recipe. I always get good results and they are soon all gone. Don’t forget you can change the walnuts for chocolate chunks (or glace cherries or fudge pieces) depending on who you are sharing them with.
Makes: Up to 24 depending on how large you want to cut them!
200g / 7oz of butter or margarine
450g / 1lb of caster sugar
4 level tablespoons of cocoa powder
175g / 6oz of plain flour
Pinch of salt
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
100g / 3 ½ oz of chopped walnuts (or chocolate pieces etc.)
1) Line a medium (23cm square roughly) baking tray or brownie tin with a sheet of Bake-O-Glide
2) Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (gas mark 4).
3) Put the butter or margarine in a bowl and melt (If you have an AGA then you can just stand the bowl on the top, otherwise put somewhere warm or heat in a pan on the hob on a low heat and watch to make sure it does not boil)
4) Put the sugar, cocoa, flour and salt into a mixing bowl and give them a good stir to make sure they are all combined
5) Break the eggs into another bowl and beat with a fork or whisk
6) Pour the melted butter in with the sugar, cocoa and flour and give this a quick stir
7) Then add the beaten eggs and vanilla and mix all this together so that you cannot see any dry bits of flour. Try not to get too vigorous with the stirring here as you don’t want to get too much air mixed in. You really only need a spoon or spatula as a food mixer can make this combine too well and you will get brownies that are more cake-like than the sticky but crusty topped treats you are aiming for
8) Fold* in the chopped walnuts (or whatever else you want to use if anything)
9) Pour everything into the baking tray or brownie tin and slide into the middle of the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes (for an AGA use the baking oven for the same time or for a two-oven AGA the roasting oven but reduce the time to 25-30 minutes)
10 When done the brownies should have a firm top and a tester or skewer stuck in should come out clean. Leave to cool in the tin then cut into squares and enjoy
This is just mixing but gently. The best way is just to work on the basis of making a figure of 8 with the spoon, using the edge, and turn the bowl as you go. You will need to scrape off the edges of the bowl a few times to get all the ingredients too.
Spoon / spatula
Brownie tin / baking tray
All in all this a great set which produced a great Brownie. I was genuinely surprise at the quality of the products and I can see this set being used over and over again. Bakestore.co.uk is definitely a company I would use again and recommend to others!
On that note, they have been kind enough to offer a 10% discount on your entire order to all my readers, which includes free UK mainland delivery. Simply register for an account and when at the checkout use code 'GEM10'. This code runs until the end of September 2012.
Thank you Bake Store!